Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Banana Spice Pancakes in 5 Easy Steps =)

I made these for my cousins over Christmas break when we were snowed in together at my grandma's. There was an abundance of bananas and no one knew what to do with them. I'm glad that those bananas were put to use in these pancakes. ^__^ These pancakes are sugarfree! Agave nectar has a very low glycemic index. Well, they are sugarfree, except for the vanilla soymilk, I guess. Plain, unsweetened soymilk will work just as well, if you are diabetic or don't want to eat sugar. :)

Banana Spice Pancakes

1½ cups whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
2 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
3 medium sized ripe bananas, peeled and sliced or mashed
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups vanilla soymilk
1 to 1½ tablespoons agave nectar
some oil for the pan/griddle

Note: The measurements for the spices are approximate; I don't really remember how much I put in. I used my nose. ^_~ If you want your pancakes to be more/less spicy, change them according to your taste. ;)
  1. In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, except for the bananas.
  2. Put half of the bananas and the soymilk into a blender. Puree until smooth. Add the other wet ingredients & the rest of the bananas to the blender. Puree until smooth.
  3. Heat a griddle or pan with some oil in it over medium heat.
  4. Using a spoon, pour some of the pancake batter on the pan.
  5. Cook until you start to see lots of tiny bubbles popping. Flip the pancake over and cook until it is browned on the bottom. You could do more than one pancake at a time, depending on the size of your pan/griddle.
I served these with sliced fruit and agave nectar or pure maple syrup (none of that high fructose corn syrup crap!). My cousins gobbled them up, and I hope you enjoy them too! <3




0 comments: